Idi Amin was the president of Uganda between 1971 to 1979. He is the most popular of all Uganda’s presidents. During his 8 years rule, he declared himself the “life president of Uganda”. To the developed world, he was a ruthless, despotic and the worst president of Uganda! To Ugandans, it is a mixed feeling if you talk about Idi Amin Dada.
With low education levels, there are some positive developments he made in the country and many are still visible! Today, lets not share the exclusive information about Idi Amin. Lets look at some of the quotes that are still memorable to Ugandans about the late Idi Amin Dada.
1. I am not a politician but a professional soldier. I am, therefore, a man of few words and I have been brief through my professional career.
2. There is freedom of speech, but I cannot guarantee freedom after speech.
3. My mission is to lead the country out of a bad situation of corruption, depression and slavery. After I rid the country of these vices, I will then organize and supervise a general election of a genuinely democratic civilian
4. If we knew the meaning to everything that is happening to us, then there would be no meaning.
5. The problem with me is that I am fifty or one hundred years ahead of my time. My speed is very fast. Some ministers have had to drop out of my government because they could not keep up.
6. In any country, there must be people who have to die. They are the Sacrifices any nation has to make to achieve law and order.
7. I am the hero of Africa.
8. I do not want to be controlled by any superpower. I myself consider myself the most powerful figure in the world, and that is why I do not let any superpower control me.
9. Politics is like boxing –you try to knock out your opponents.
10. Although some people felt Adolf Hitler was bad, he was a great man and a real conqueror whose name would never be forgotten.
11. You cannot run faster than a bullet.
12. Your experience will be a lesson to all of us men to be careful not to marry ladies in very high positions.
13. It’s not for me. I tried human flesh and it’s too salty for my taste.
14. Sometimes people mistake the way I talk for what I am thinking. I never had any formal education—not even nursery school certificate. But, sometimes I know more than Ph.D.’s because as a military man I know how to act, I am a man of action.
15. I want to be remembered as a great athlete. As a boxing champion.